In the first part of this series we explained why Avoca Design settled on WordPress for our website development needs. If WordPress is the engine of your website then the hosting is the highway that allows you to reach your audience. We quickly realised that we needed to make sure that a quality hosting provider stood behind all our websites.
World Class WordPress web hosting – Web Synthesis
The problem with virtual…
We had solid hosting with a Mediatemple DV (VPS). This gave us lots of benefits over shared hosting, space and speed and good control over our hosting environment. However, we were tired of having to panic on weekend or holiday when our VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting had an occasional issue that required action. This was our responsibility to fix, and we did, but it was a drain on our resources and time.
We wanted to partner with a hosting company that took care of the server side performance and security issues for us. So we started looking around…
Going WordPress only
Web Synthesis stood out for us, it’s Wordpress only hosting with awesome speed and rock solid security, guaranteed. We looked at the price tag, took a deep breath and took the plunge.
WordPress only managed hosting has some key advantages for us:
- It’s built from the ground up for WordPress, this means that the performance is tuned
- It’s managed – the hosting company looks after the sites for us and our clients and is on hand to get a faster resolution incase of
- It’s secure – they are right on top of security threats, patching WordPress as soon as security releases are available and monitoring their systems daily.
- Backups – they manage both backups to their servers nightly and also facilitate backups to our Amazon s3 storage. We don’t have to lift a finger once we’ve configured the site.
- They know WordPress – if things go wrong and we have to raise a support ticket, we’re chatting to support agents who know what they are talking about and that means faster turn around for us and our clients.
I can honestly say it’s one of our best business decisions ever. We sleep better at night, our sites universally load faster and perhaps best of all we have been able to create a custom workflow for managing websites we host for clients and deploying changes to the server.
We’ll explore that a bit more in the next installment (it might get a bit geeky from there on :) ).